William Blake (28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827) was an English poet, painter, and printmaker. Largely unrecognised during his lifetime, Blake is now considered a seminal figure in the history of both the poetry and visual arts of the Romantic Age.
Without Contraries is no progression. Attraction and Repulsion, Reason and Energy, Love and Hate, are necessary to Human existence.
From these contraries spring what the religious call Good & Evil. Good is the passive that obeys Reason. Evil is the active springing from Energy.
Good is Heaven. Evil is Hell
The Voice of the Devil
All Bibles or sacred codes have been the causes of the following Errors.
1) That Man has two real existing principles Viz: a Body & a Soul.
2) That Energy, call’d Evil, is alone from the Body, & that Reason, call’d
Good, is alone from the Soul.
3) That God will torment Man in Eternity for following his Energies.
But the following Contraries to these are True.
1) Man has no Body distinct from his Soul; for that call’d Body is a portion
of Soul discern’d by the five Senses, the chief inlets of Soul in this age.
2) Energy is the only life and is from the Body and Reason is the bound or
outward circumference of Energi.
3) Energy is Eternal Delight.
Those who restrain desire, do so because theirs is weak enough to be restrained; and the restrainer of reason usurps its place & governs the unwilling. And being restrain’d it by degrees becomes passive till it is only the shadow of desire.